Tom Minear, State Political Editor, Herald Sun
November 8, 2019
Regional hospital staff remain cut off from the internet and internal systems, more than five weeks after a cyber attack that compromised their computer networks.
An email from a Latrobe Regional Hospital staff member – sent via their personal account earlier this week – confirms they still have no access to external email, the internet and “a large number” of internal systems.
The September 30 cyber attack struck health services across Gippsland and southwest Victoria after a phishing email was sent to an employee. It enabled a virus to spread into computer networks and gave cyber criminals unauthorised access. Police have been called in to investigate the attack but the state government maintains no patient data was stolen.
Opposition health spokeswoman Georgie Crozier said it was clear the attack was continuing to “plague regional hospitals.”
She accused the government of ignoring warnings from the Auditor-General about cyber security procedures within hospitals.
“Daniel Andrews has arrogantly refused to provide the funding hospitals urgently need to fix the current mess and defend themselves from future attacks,” Ms Crozier said.
Health Minister Jenny Mikakos told parliament last week that the government had invested $46 million over five years to “to strengthen health service IT capability and replace aged and at-risk technology in our health service.”
A link to the HERALD SUN is HERE: